Thursday, April 9, 2015

Vacante: Teaching matters...right where you are!

As I went to my previous school this week I was enlightened on how teachers truly matter to students. It was obvious I had made an impact in children’s lives at Thurgood. I brought them home when they needed a place to sleep, kept them after school because they were scared to go home, and took them to practices or games.  I contemplated all summer if I wanted to transition to teaching in Wylie. I thought, “How will I make a difference if I leave where I am needed most?”

 I have not had the opportunity to make it to Thurgood this year because our calendars are practically the same. Yesterday however I had an appointment and so I left early enough from Wylie to make the trip over to Dallas.  I cried y’all. Not just little droplets falling down my face cry, but I had BIG crocodile tears. I had tears of happiness. As I walked in most classrooms were pulling small groups preparing for STAAR. I saw teachers working with kids using strategies that I taught. I TAUGHT them to use those strategies. The kids were quick to tell me what they had taught their new teacher too. I had kids ask me to hold on so I could see their progress charts. I created their charts last year so we could track their growth during small group pull-out and their new facilitator chose to use them as well. I had a kids run up to me and give me a big hug. Kids that normally, show no emotion to anyone, jumped out of their seats as soon as they heard my voice. One whispered in my ear, “The other kids said we wouldn’t see you again, I told them I knew you would be back.” To say the least… I was an emotional wreck.

So back to, “How will I make a difference…” I questioned myself that night. Am I making as big of an impact in my student’s lives here in Wylie? Well of course, ask and you shall receive? Right? As soon as I walked in a student asked me if I am still going to his FFH show. He said he had been working hard and that he wants ME to see it. Other students were quick to tell me how amazing they did on their reading passages while I was away. “We showed our new strategy and even checked it with the sub!” One student wrote me the sweetest note. She said, “I have always struggled in reading, but you make it fun and easy!” This class has taught me so much. The passion they have for learning has shown me a different way to teach. Not only do they need me as a teacher, I needed them to gain my passion back for teaching.

As I sit here grading papers, each kid has made improvements, each kid gives effort, and each kid is moving towards their goal. I am making an impact here. I encourage you to step back and look around at all the ways you are making a positive impact in each of your student’s lives. I promise you are. I also promise they are making one in yours as well.

“There is no better reward than working from your heart, and making a difference in the world.”

                                                                                                            Carlos Santana

No comments:

Post a Comment