Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The librarian speaks!

Have I struggled with writing this Reflection? More like I had a million and one amazing ideas when I first heard I was going to be writing one five months ago and now I have none. Then there’s the dilemma of “Should I go light and funny or serious and professional? Or should I do a little funny with big technical words or a mixture there of?” For someone who loves the written word and anything to do with books, it’s a trial to put my thoughts on paper or express them verbally. And that right there is my topic of today’s Reflection...Expression of Thought!

So many articles and speakers have addressed this topic in reference to children and learning. How can I contribute in a positive way and not sound like I’m spouting rhetoric? Easy...I can’t. I haven’t got a psychology or teaching degree, but what I do have are eyes. Eyes that see when a child’s thoughts are running rapidly or standing stagnant. Eyes that see a student trying desperately to get their point across and let you into their thought process. Then there is the frustration and dejection when an adult runs out of patience or is unable to get on level with that child. I’m just as guilty of it as many of you are.

BUT! My eyes also see the unfiltered, unabridged devotion a teacher, or administrator, para or any staff member on campus has for ANY child within their sphere and without. I also witness the unlimited patience and understanding that almost brings a tear to my otherwise cynical eye. Okay, no prevaricating. It has brought tears to my eyes; along with the red face and running nose. The joy a student has when seeing the understanding and want of connection in our eyes is uplifting, for lack of a more joyous word.

For those who take the extra moment to actually look into a student's eyes and who have the knowledge (either taught or imbedded) to take a step back and realize the expression of thought is different for that little one….I thank you. My expression of thought is simple...Thank you for being there for my child and so so many others.

Cheryl White


No comments:

Post a Comment