Thursday, March 19, 2015

Math Stations with Mrs. Haskins

Math Stations!


Well, I feel like I'm finally swimming with my math stations.  I've struggled with it most of the year.  I was constantly running out of time and feeling rushed.  I started reading articles, books and chatting with other teachers about how they run their stations.  After many frustrating days of trial and error, and worrying, I feel good about it.  My kids are looking forward to math stations daily.  If, for some reason, we are running out of time to finish them, the kids will let me know they're not happy.  "Can we do one more after lunch?!"  Currently, I have a math writing station where the kids have a problem of the day to solve.  They need to draw a picture, write a number sentence and a statement to answer the problem.  I encourage them to discuss their strategies with the others in the writing station.  I like what I'm hearing over there.  Often, they'll have time to create their own problem of the days if he finish early.  I've been really impressed with what they produce.  Time permitting, I'll share a couple each day, and we work them out.  I'm still looking to make math stations better, but I've got a great start.  

Julie

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I know I cannot LIVE without my math station time! :)

    ReplyDelete